Discharge of Firearms Ordinance (omitted from warrant)

Discharge of Firearms Ordinance (omitted from warrant)

Postby Rob C - Moderator » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:30 am

(this added by Curt on 2/9/12)
the selectmen minutes of 1/9/12 wrote:Many members of the audience stated they wanted to work toward a solution for all. They understood the problems and felt a better solution could be found other than the Firearm Ordinance. Vice-chair Giordano stated he would make a motion to table the Ordinance for one year if members of the audience were to step up and form an organized group to help solve the problem. Chip Current offered to spearhead the effort and sixteen audience members signed up.
Vice-chair Giordano made the motion, seconded by Selectman Inman, to close the Public Hearing. Motion passed.
Vice-chair Giordano made the motion, seconded by Chairman O’Neil, to table the Firearm Ordinance for one year to give the group a chance to discuss options. Motion passed. The Board of Selectmen asked the group to meet and determine a list of the real issues then meet with the BOS to discuss options and solutions. Patty was asked to put the group on the Agenda on January 23, 2012 for 7:15PM.

Currently not in final form

Article 2012-13 Discharge of Firearms Ordinance

To see if the town will vote to adopt the following ordinance:

Ordinance Regarding the Discharge of Firearms on Town Property

Authority
This ordinance is enacted pursuant to the authority granted by RSA 31:39 I (a), RSA 159:26 and RSA 207:59.

Prohibited Activities
No person shall discharge a firearm on property of the Town of Danville except:

(a) Hunting as defined and allowed by Chapter 207
(b) Law enforcement activities authorized by state law
(c) Self-defense or the defense of others to the extent permitted by state law
(d) Firing of blanks (gunpowder but no projectile)

This ordinance shall not be construed to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms to the extent permitted by state law.

Enforcement
Violators will be subject to a fine of up to $1,000 per occurrence, as provided by RSA 31:39 III, to be paid to the general fund of the town.
Rob C - Moderator

Re: Article 2012-13 Discharge of Firearms Ordinance

Postby safety frog » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:44 am

Was this one not tabled till next year? Seems like enforcing an anti littering regulation would have the same affect.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:47 am

safety frog wrote:Was this one not tabled till next year?

That was my understanding. I oppose this whether it's tabled or not.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby russh » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Yes, this has been tabled for the year while a group of citizens researches other options.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” – Mark Twain

My email, for any town related business: russ.harding@live.com
russh

Return to 2012 Town Warrant Articles