Mailboxes

General Forum for Danville Topics

Mailboxes

Postby momof3 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:40 am

Danville NH residents, did you know that YOU can go through anybody else's mailbox, remove or add what ever you feel like. The Danville NH Police see this as a trivial thing and refuse at at a minimum charge the perpetrator with trespassing or destruction of personal property.

My daughter is in the military and receives her orders every 29 days, her orders have come up missing, mortgage statements, my new chipped credit card as well as mail order prescriptions.

This person spent 4 minutes going through my mail and the local PD refuses to do anything about it even though I have game camera pictures as well as video and the name of the perpetrator. The perpetrator even admitted her actions but our Chief Wade Parsons does not care. So I guess this means that I can go through the Chiefs mail ?

I thought the job of the postal inspector was to prosecute individuals deliberately interfering with the delivery of mail and interference when the mail is in your mailbox

There is a Federal Law which prohibits the "Obstruction of correspondence" - 18 United States Code Section 1702. That statute provides:

Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Plus the following statue as well:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 83 > § 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter
Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title
momof3

Return to Danville General