Mail Delivery in Town

General Forum for Danville Topics

Re: Mail Delivery in Town

Postby curt » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

20 years ago more or less the post offices in and around Danville were moved or greatly expanded. It always seemed like overkill to have a big honking PO every 3 miles.

That said, the post office does provide a sense of community. Danville used to have 3 POs. The South Danville PO in the crook of Main Street and Hunt Road (now Olde Road) survived until the 1980s.

The North Danville PO survived until the mid 1960s, long enough to get a zip code.

Although I put "North Danville" in my location, I have to admit that when people ask where I live I mostly just say "Danville". I don't really know but I'm sure that 50 years ago when peoples' postal addresses were "North Danville, NH", they mostly would have answered "North Danville", the same way people in East Hampstead say "East Hampstead" (in my experience) instead of "Hampstead."

I read that with this round of closures they were particularly targeting postal facilities where there is more than one in the same municipality. That would explain why East Hampstead is getting whacked in favor of the Hampstead PO. There was a West Hampstead PO that existed in the 1980s.

East Hampstead has a separate identity from Hampstead that goes back to colonial times. Before they moved the provincial boundary south in 1741, East Hampstead was part of Amesbury Mass and was known as "Amesbury Peak". whereas the rest of Hampstead came out of Haverhill Mass and a no-man's land claimed by Kingston.

Also East Hampstead is in the Plaistow EVergreen 2 telephone exchange, whereas Hampstead has its own DAvis 9 exchange.

It will be interesting to see if the identity of East Hampstead survives the closing of the PO. If they are allowed to keep their "East Hampstead 03826" postal addresses, perhaps the non-existence of a post office won't matter. But if they are made to convert to "Hampstead 03841", I would bet that in a generation people would just say they live in "Hampstead".
Curt Springer
curt

Postby JC » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:56 am

I think the building would make a great spot to put the much needed Police Department. Every time I go to the post office (which is not much) it seems to be closed for lunch. :)
If you dont't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou
JC

Postby dmh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:51 am

If they close post offices, I might never get my mail. After all, people in Danvile and the School district routnely forget there are taxpayers in the 03826 who live in Danville now. I am however lucky enough to be completely informed of the going on's of the Hampstead school district, and Hampstead town doings.

I would like to add that Shawn and the Town of Danville Warrant article were the only political items to get to the mailbox this political season.

If we end up in another zip code than the rest of the town can we end up in either Kingston, since they are in my backyard, or Plaistow in which case I will atleast get Timberlane bulk mailings.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Postby Patricia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Sheila - you hit the nail on the head! It is more than just a place to mail letters and buy stamps.
Patricia

Postby Patricia » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Sheila wrote:I see we are concerned for the "good of the town" on here by some people. Not all are fortunate to have computers. There are some in town who still walk to the PO everyday. There are alot of people who meet other towns people getting their mail this is and always has been a place where people catch up on town's going on and other intersts. Not to mention loss of jobs here folks. This is sad to see this going away.

Sheila

Sheila - you hit the nail on the head! It is more than just a place to mail letters and buy stamps.
Patricia

Postby JC » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Sheila wrote:I see we are concerned for the "good of the town" on here by some people. Not all are fortunate to have computers. There are some in town who still walk to the PO everyday. There are alot of people who meet other towns people getting their mail this is and always has been a place where people catch up on town's going on and other intersts. Not to mention loss of jobs here folks. This is sad to see this going away.

Sheila

If people don't have computers they can always utilize the library. If people are meeting at the PO maybe Danville needs a coffee shop ! ;)
If you dont't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou
JC

Postby safety frog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:45 am

So the Danville and East Hampstead PO's are being shut down?

I have never seen any one go to the PO in Danville to meet or talk or anything but get stamps, mail or drop offs. Folks can get their own mail boxes at their homes,

Will they be eliminating zip codes? That will create a short term headache changing addresses for legal documents etc.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby safety frog » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:47 am

At least at the East Hampstead PO we were able to get our passport applications processed.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby Sheila » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:20 am

Saturday is a huge PO day, but so is every morning. I will always remember the ice storm a few years back. I was helping out the fire dept. directing traffic flows while they cut the trees from the road. When I stopped traffic this morning to an elderly gentleman in a car that clearly was housed in a garage. While he sat there I asked him where he was off to on such a fine morning, he said PO, I go every morning. I explained the conditions of the roads and didnt think it was open due to power outagaes. I suggested that he might want to wait till later on when the roads might be better. After a few minutes he had me hold the traffic back he turned around and went home. Being around town alot during the day I do see alot of people using this PO.

Sheila
Sheila

Postby curt » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:11 am

Curt Springer
curt

Postby curt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:14 am

I was told by a reliable source that the Danville and East Hampstead carriers will pick up the mail at the Hampstead post office starting 4/22/11. This is easy because the mail is sorted in Manchester, not locally.

The Danville and East Hampstead windows and boxes will stay open, at least for the time being.

If I were a Danville resident in 03826 land, I would push-push-push to have one or more 03819-9999 zip plus four codes created for that part of our town but have them assigned to the East Hampstead carrier. This should work now that Danville and East Hampstead mail will come into the same office for delivery. 20 years ago I pushed to have Sandown Road serviced out of the new Danville post office when the Sandown post office wanted to keep us.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby safety frog » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:36 pm

A USPS employee indicated today to me that the Danville and E. Hampstead offices are staying for open, no other information.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby argot » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Perhaps I'm not country-enough. I would find it sad to live in a Danville that doesn't have a Post Office. I am there every week.
argot

Postby C L » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 am

Mail delivery itself is fine.

The Post Office on the other hand, has no idea what they are doing.

I have had arguments regarding:

Dropping off pre paid packages
Size restrictions on packages
Use of a Visa card

and a Sarah Palin moment when the clerk told me I couldnt send a package to Korea. I calmly explained that (they) were refering to North Korea not Korea, that was met with a "there's 2 of them?" If my eyes rolled back anymore in my head I would of had an aneurysm.

The best part........all these problems were solved by going to either East Hamstead or Fremont.

I personally don't care if they close it or keep it open, I don't go there.

Oh yeah, hour and half lunch.........hmmmmm
C L

Postby curt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:00 pm

I've never had any problems with the Danville PO but I have heard of others who are not happy and do their postal business elsewhere.

The lobby and counter will be open indefinitely after the carriers start picking up the mail at Hampstead later this month.
Curt Springer
curt

PreviousNext

Return to Danville General