Mail Delivery in Town

General Forum for Danville Topics

Re: Mail Delivery in Town

Postby LM » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 am

safety frog wrote:A USPS employee indicated today to me that the Danville and E. Hampstead offices are staying for open, no other information.

I was speaking to a USPS employee from Atkinson yesterday who said that both the Danville and E. Hampstead offices are closing..the mail will both be coming out of the Hampstead Post Office. It will not interrupt delivery, but will matter to those who have a PO box.
LM

Postby argot » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:52 pm

We do not do auto-pays or online credit card payments. We write checks. We love the Danville Post Office, and use it regularly.

Particularly after the latest batch of AOL hacking, we simply do not trust online for financial arrangements. We are not Luddites; we have experienced, seen and heard about too many financial fraud/identity thefts among our own family to expose our information online.
argot

Postby JC » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:53 pm

I will not miss the post office, I use the Kingston post office or the East Hampstead post office because of the hours. Every time I attempt to use the Danville post office they seem to be on lunch, seriously an hour and a half closed for lunch each day?
If you dont't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou
JC

Postby curt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:18 pm

On the other hand, they are open at 7:30 am, which I find convenient when driving to work.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby JC » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:40 pm

That's great if you don't work nights :)
If you dont't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou
JC

Postby curt » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:45 pm

LM wrote:I was speaking to a USPS employee from Atkinson yesterday who said that both the Danville and E. Hampstead offices are closing..the mail will both be coming out of the Hampstead Post Office. It will not interrupt delivery, but will matter to those who have a PO box.

This is mostly incorrect. The mail will be be sorted by route and house in Manchester, as it is now. But the USPS will drop if off in Hampstead instead of Danville. The Danville carriers will pick it up in Hampstead and then deliver it to Danville houses and businesses. One of them I think will have all the mail going to the PO boxes. The counters and PO Boxes at the Danville and East Hampstead POs will be open, at least for the time being.

There will be delays. The carriers will have to drive from Hampstead before starting delivery in Danville. If you mail a letter locally it will have to be sent to Manchester to get sorted.

I don't see many cost savings now. Just the fuel and labor savings from dropping all the mail in Hampstead instead of continuing on to East Hampstead and Danville. I think this will give the PO the basis for the next steps, either to close the offices entirely or to move them to smaller facilities for less rent.

It will be like the 1980's, when the PO occupied what is now the cash register / counter area in Gorton's Store (Mayo's Market), and all delivery to houses and businesses was from post offices in other towns.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby curt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 am

April 27, 2011
Local USPS changes designed to save money

By Doug Ireland direland@eagletribune.com The Eagle Tribune Wed Apr 27, 2011, 02:54 AM EDT

The U.S. Postal Service's move to cut costs and improve efficiency has led to a consolidation of mail carriers in Southern New Hampshire and could mean closing the Bradford Post Office.

Carriers were transferred between several local post offices over the weekend. But none of those post office are scheduled to close, according to Tom Rizzo, the USPS northern New England spokesman.

In a separate move, the federal agency is considering closing the Bradford Post Office and moving its operations to the Haverhill office in Washington Square, said Dennis Tarmey, the USPS spokesman for greater Boston.

Tarmey stressed the idea has been discussed, but there is no specific plan. If a formal plan is developed, there would be a public hearing and a lengthy consideration process before a final decision is made.

"It's a proposal, that's all it is," Tarmey said yesterday. "It's an idea among many ideas."

Nearly 20 people work at the Bradford Post Office and they would be reassigned if it closed, he said.

City Councilor David Hall said closing the post office would be a major loss for Bradford.

"I'm sure it's going to be a big inconvenience," he said. "It's going to send them (residents) to one of the most congested areas in Washington Square."

No carriers are being transferred between Merrimack Valley post offices like they are in the Granite State, Tarmey said. But it's always a future possibility, he said, as the Postal Service strives to cut costs.

"I would anticipate that, at some point, that would happen," he said.

In New Hampshire, mail carriers in Windham were moved to the Salem Post Office and those in Chester were relocated to Derry, Rizzo said.

Pelham carriers were transferred to Hudson; carriers in Danville and East Hampstead were shifted to the Hampstead office, he said. Rizzo said he didn't know how many carriers were relocated.

The move will save the Postal Service money, including maintenance and transportation costs, Rizzo said.

The agency's plan for nationwide downsizing also involves moving to smaller buildings within communities when leases expire.

"It's an efficiency move that is very cost-effective for us," he said. "We don't need all the space that we needed years ago. The world is changing, and we are trying to right size and adjust to it."

Rizzo said the Postal Service is a self-funded agency. The popularity of email and the Internet has led to a huge decrease in revenue, he said.

There is no immediate plan to downsize post offices in Southern New Hampshire, he said. Although carriers have been transferred, postal services have not changed.

"Customers will hardly notice a difference it they noticed it at all," Rizzo said.

Many Danville residents have heard rumors their post office might close and are worried, Town Clerk Christine Tracy said.

"Most of the residents are really concerned, " she said. "People are talking about it."
Curt Springer
curt

Postby AlfredTwo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 am

argot wrote:We do not do auto-pays or online credit card payments. We write checks. We love the Danville Post Office, and use it regularly.

Particularly after the latest batch of AOL hacking, we simply do not trust online for financial arrangements. We are not Luddites; we have experienced, seen and heard about too many financial fraud/identity thefts among our own family to expose our information online.

The sort of thing that amazes me is people who will give a credit card to a young kid at a restaurant and let them walk out of sight with it. A huge amount of fraud goes on with kids like that making copies of the card and using or selling the information. I feel safer online.
AlfredTwo

Previous

Return to Danville General