Commercial complexes planned in Danville

General Forum for Danville Topics

Re: Commercial complexes planned in Danville

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 pm

I see there was discussion as to what impact this will have on local services. I recently visited one of our customers (I won't mention who). This company owns 84 acres with a current design for multiple buildings and plans for 20k employees. Currently they only have 2k employees on site. Needless to say this is a recent and continuing project.

Anyhow......I learned that this company ended up buying the town a ladder truck as they didn't have the equipment to meet the needs of this company. On top of that they bought town new police cars and pick up the salary for two additional police officers. My point is the developer making concessions to the town is not something that is uncommon.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby Sheila » Tue May 31, 2011 10:33 pm

I find it intersting that the "future impact" costs to this town is lost in this discussion. After watching the meeting the other night I get the feeling that our Selectmen, Fire Dept. and Police Dept are asking for to much. After this is built and the developer is gone, we the taxpayer will be footing the bills for the upkeep of all these services and wish lists of these depts. I do beleive we need them, however, I also realize when all is said and done we the taxpayers are stuck with the burdens. Nothing is for free.........

Sheila
Last edited by Sheila on Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheila

Postby Rob C » Tue May 31, 2011 10:46 pm

SBinRockrimmon wrote:I see there was discussion as to what impact this will have on local services. I recently visited one of our customers (I won't mention who). This company owns 84 acres with a current design for multiple buildings and plans for 20k employees. Currently they only have 2k employees on site. Needless to say this is a recent and continuing project.

Are you talking about the company working with Danville right now? I'm totally confused by what you wrote. Can you clarify...

SBinRockrimmon wrote:Anyhow......I learned that this company ended up buying the town a ladder truck as they didn't have the equipment to meet the needs of this company. On top of that they bought town new police cars and pick up the salary for two additional police officers. My point is the developer making concessions to the town is not something that is uncommon.

This too...
Rob C
Rob C

Postby Rob C » Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 pm

Sheila wrote:I find it intersting that the "future impact" costs to this town is lost in this discussion. After watching the meeting the other night I get the feeling that our Selectmen, Fire Dept. and Police Dept are asking for to much. After this is built and the developer is gone, we the taxpayer will be footing the bills for the upkeep of all these services and wish lists of these depts. I do we beleive we need them, however, I also realize when all is said and done we the taxpayers are stuck with the burdens. Nothing is for free.........

Sheila

Agree with everything you say BUT the taxpayers will also include the residents of the 600+ person facility. The facilities will cost on the order of $300 million to build. Figuring the facilities are valued at half what it costs to build them then our taxes will decrease significantly even with ladder trucks and new police stations. Current town valuation is around $400 million, you do the math.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Tue May 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Rob C wrote:Are you talking about the company working with Danville right now? I'm totally confused by what you wrote. Can you clarify...

No....I was referring to one of my customers. Perhaps this would make more sense if you heard the wish list that Chief Woitkun, was presenting to the BOS.

Rob C wrote:This too...

I apologize for any confusion. Perhaps I should have posted my comments once the video is posted to the website. It relates to the "wish list" the town is presenting to this developer.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Tue May 31, 2011 11:01 pm

Rob C wrote:Agree with everything you say BUT the taxpayers will also include the residents of the 600+ person facility. The facilities will cost on the order of $300 million to build. Figuring the facilities are valued at half what it costs to build them then our taxes will decrease significantly even with ladder trucks and new police stations. Current town valuation is around $400 million, you do the math.

I agree with you Rob. I also agree that the town should make sure they do their homework and get the impact study done. Overall I believe this complex to be a very good thing for this town, but we should also be sure we don't get shortchanged. If we need a ladder truck to immediately service the residences of this community as soon as the door open, we should make it clear that this would be an impact that the town cannot afford right away and find out what concessions the developer is willing to make (to the town) in order to get this project up and running. I'm well aware there will be other impacts to the town, but I'm mostly using the ladder truck as an example.

SBinRockrimmon

Postby JohnH » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:23 am

Sheila wrote:I find it intersting that the "future impact" costs to this town is lost in this discussion. After watching the meeting the other night I get the feeling that our Selectmen, Fire Dept. and Police Dept are asking for to much. After this is built and the developer is gone, we the taxpayer will be footing the bills for the upkeep of all these services and wish lists of these depts. I do beleive we need them, however, I also realize when all is said and done we the taxpayers are stuck with the burdens. Nothing is for free.........

Sheila

The BOS and department heads are just stating what will be needed to support these additions to our community. The shopping plaza alone will increase traffic and with that accidents, plus PD will have to increase their patrols. The businesses will draw people which will increase the Fire and EMS calls as well. Now add in a large 55+ community and assisted living on top of that, which is expected to double the calls for the Fire and EMS. The structure alone warrants a ladder as there is no way Danville FD can control a fire there without one and will save lives if a fire does happen there. The increase in EMS calls will also tax our existing Rescue vehicle and bring its life expectancy down, plus the likely hood that we will be dealing with multiple EMS calls at one time in different parts of town will increase. And because of all of this we will also need additional Police and Fire/EMS personel on duty.

I suggest you all watch the end of last nights BOS meeting as Chief Woitkun spoke to the Fire department needs. He has done the homework on this and has data from other communities that have similar facilities that support the requests. His and Chief Parson jobs are to tell the Selectmen how these complexes will affect our town and what will be needed to support them and it is up to the Selectmen to figure out how to get the funding. Chief Woitkun is trying to bring costs down by applying for grants, but those are far from guaranteed. Plus the vehicles he is looking to purchase aren't brand new, off the showroom floor, $1.2M trucks.

These complexes will bring in much needed tax relief and will pay for these services going forward, but the question before the BOS is how do we get the infrastructure in place before the burden is increased?

My question to Danville is if we don't fill these "wish lists" and a life is lost because the needed equipment or personel aren't available, who is to blame and who will explain why to the family?
John Hughes
JohnH

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:34 am

Everything comes at a price. I believe we NEED to have the infrastructure in place first. The town should work with the developer as much as possible to make that happen. If we want to continue to entice commercial development in town it may involve an "up front" cost (to the town) to put it all into place. I think that long term it will be well worth the initial expense. I also believe that developments like this one should be assessed an "impact tax" on a yearly basis to offset the expense to the town.

Like I stated above.....I think this project could be a huge success and good for Danville provided we do our homework and do it right.

SBinRockrimmon

Postby curt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:56 am

We could have a regional FD to share the costs of the big ticket items. Just as the post office is rationalizing its office and sorting locations, we can deal with redundant town facilities and equipment based on boundary lines drawn in the 1700s based on travel time to church.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby safety frog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:41 am

55+ community and assisted living

What if this comes in as a "non-profit" once it is built? How will that affect its tax rate? The residents would not be paying taxes direct to Danville, but the owner of the building and property once built.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby safety frog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 am

One option that was discussed on Johnson Road to alleviate the safety hazards of increased traffic on Johnson Road (very narrow) was to make Frye Road one way, northbound to prevent folks driving from the complex through the neighborhood.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby curt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:09 pm

safety frog wrote:What if this comes in as a "non-profit" once it is built? How will that affect its tax rate? The residents would not be paying taxes direct to Danville, but the owner of the building and property once built.

An earlier post on "charitable," "nonprofit"
Curt Springer
curt

Postby dmh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:29 pm

safety frog wrote:
55+ community and assisted living

What if this comes in as a "non-profit" once it is built? How will that affect its tax rate? The residents would not be paying taxes direct to Danville, but the owner of the building and property once built.

I believe this is an issue up in manchester, with the new Elliot Riverwalk center, which is probably bigger than the hospital it self. There have been articles in the Manchester UnionLeader about them lowering the tax rate. They wanted some additional taxbreaks due to some offices not occuppied, some are for not-for profit centers, and so on. In this case, it is a not for profit which has different tax liabilities than a non-profit.

If this is a medical care facility it is probably not for profit and will be looking for reduced tax rates.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Postby safety frog » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:34 am

May 12th Planning board mintues finally posted to town web site. Too bad they are so tardy.

The question was asked if Kingston would be notified if wells are going to be used instead
of public water. It was noted that this Board notified abutting communities and the
Rockingham Planning Commission about the regional impact of these site plan reviews. If
wells are going to be used, the Board will require hydrological studies.

Public water in this area are wells, just off Hunt road near Harpers Ridge, Hampstead, and one near Williams Path, Kingston. Notifications and hydro studies should be done in either case as it has the potential to affect the residential wells in Southern Danville, Kingston and Hamsptead. I have seen no discussion on pipe line routes and right of ways if the public water wells are used? There also appears to be little discussion on what will be done by developers or town to improve Johnson Road if the development goes in.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby curt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:56 am

safety frog wrote:May 12th Planning board mintues finally posted to town web site. Too bad they are so tardy.

The 5/12 minutes were approved by the Planning Board on 5/26. They were sent by the **PAID** clerk to the **VOLUNTEER** web committee on 6/30, more than a month later. We posted them on 7/5.
Curt Springer
curt

PreviousNext

Return to Danville General