Commercial complexes planned in Danville

General Forum for Danville Topics

Re: Commercial complexes planned in Danville

Postby curt » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:31 pm

Here is a link to the state driveway policy, which also pertains to roads connecting to the state highway system:

http://www.nh.gov/dot/org/operations/hi ... Policy.pdf

The decision is made by the district engineer, in our case District 6 in Durham. There is no provision for a public hearing. Of course you have every right to read the application and to supply information or opinions. Last year I went there seeking information on the straightening out of 111-A on Coburn Hill, a 1939 WPA project, and they were quite helpful.
Curt Springer
curt

Shopping plaza plan has Danville neighbors worried

Postby curt » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:37 pm

November 19, 2010
Shopping plaza plan has Danville neighbors worried

By Doug Ireland direland@eagletribune.com The Eagle Tribune Fri Nov 19, 2010, 01:15 AM EST

DANVILLE — Too much noise and a loss of privacy were among the main concerns voiced by residents last night at a public hearing on a shopping plaza proposed off Route 111.

Approximately 15 residents turned out at Town Hall to hear representatives for Ozzir Properties present their plans for a 16-business Crown Plaza. The development firm also proposes to construct a retirement community nearby, with the total project cost estimated at $100 million.

A half-dozen residents from Danville and Hampstead stood before the Planning Board to express concerns about the 50,000-square-foot plaza, saying they are worried their quality of life will be adversely affected by the project.

"Whatever we allow now is certainly the forerunner of what's to come," said Kacie Lane resident Julie Sorensen.

Sorensen said she was worried about various aspects of the project, including the impact of blasting on her horses and wells. "I'm kind of really concerned, obviously," she said.

Another Kacie Lane resident, Joseph Kibbee, also said he was afraid blasting would cause his well to go dry, but was assured by engineer Steve Cummings that was not likely to happen.

"The chance of your well going dry would be miniscule," Cummings said. The engineer said Ozzir would work with the board and residents to make sure their concerns were addressed.

Before the public was given a chance to comment, Ozzir outlined the proposal for the board. Cummings explained numerous technical aspects of the project, including the traffic plan, the need for waivers, retaining walls and screening, among a few. Approval of the two projects is contingent on the construction of an intersection.

The shopping plaza project calls for 14 retail stores to be built along with a gas station/convenience store and restaurant. But it's the noise and odors from the restaurant's trash bin that particularly concerned Kacie Lane resident Carol Johnson. The Dumpster would be right next to her home, she said.

"It's going to be very loud, noisy and probably invasive," Johnson said. "Perhaps a nice, high privacy fence behind that restaurant would dampen that noise."

Other residents and board members said a high fence would be ideal in addition to the 17-foot-high retaining wall and barrier of trees proposed by Ozzir.

"What kind of trees do you plan planting there?" Kibbee asked. "Something that would kill noise?"

Although Ozzir unveiled its proposal months ago, the applications were not filed with the town until Oct. 28, according to company representative Arthur Pappas. He hopes to receive approval by spring. Construction is expected to take two or three years, irritating Frye Road property owner Richard Towne.

"I normally wouldn't mind a six-month construction time," he said. "But that would be a considerable amount of time."

The meeting, which lasted more than two hours, ended with board Chairman Barry Hantman asking Ozzir representatives to return Dec. 16 for discussion of plans for the 256,000-square-foot assisted and independent care facility, The Royal Crest of Danville. The board will continue to review the Crown Plaza project at its Jan. 13 meeting, with Ozzir asked to provide answers to numerous questions.
curt

Postby AlfredTwo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Seems like this would have a possitive impact on the town budget would it not? Sure some additional services like police and fire but nothing like the costs associated with families with young kids moving in would have. And they'd pay a good property tax rate. One of the reasons some of the other towns in the school district have lower home owner taxes is the commercial real estate. I can see the abuttors concerns but honestly you can have some houses that are as much of a nusance.
AlfredTwo

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:58 pm

AlfredTwo wrote:Seems like this would have a possitive impact on the town budget would it not? Sure some additional services like police and fire but nothing like the costs associated with families with young kids moving in would have. And they'd pay a good property tax rate. One of the reasons some of the other towns in the school district have lower home owner taxes is the commercial real estate. I can see the abuttors concerns but honestly you can have some houses that are as much of a nusance.

I agree.

I don't want to sound as if I don't care about the residents in that area, but you purchased a house in an area zoned for commercial use so you should have known that it could happen. If you wanted to be certain that you wouldn't have such an issue you should have purchased in an area zoned residential. If we aren't going to let business build in town, then why bother having any part of it zoned commercial?
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby C L » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:36 am

SBinRockrimmon wrote:
AlfredTwo wrote:Seems like this would have a possitive impact on the town budget would it not? Sure some additional services like police and fire but nothing like the costs associated with families with young kids moving in would have. And they'd pay a good property tax rate. One of the reasons some of the other towns in the school district have lower home owner taxes is the commercial real estate. I can see the abuttors concerns but honestly you can have some houses that are as much of a nusance.

I agree.

I don't want to sound as if I don't care about the residents in that area, but you purchased a house in an area zoned for commercial use so you should have known that it could happen. If you wanted to be certain that you wouldn't have such an issue you should have purchased in an area zoned residential. If we aren't going to let business build in town, then why bother having any part of it zoned commercial?

I second this.
C L

Postby safety frog » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:44 am

When they bought their homes Frye Road was locked with no legal access to Route 111 as previously discussed in the thread. After taking a walk in the area there does not appear to be a lot of land between the houses and route 111 except rock and wetlands, so for the non-civil engineer types, it probably seems surprising there is enough room for what they are planning on installing. Change is a coming.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:39 am

safety frog wrote:When they bought their homes Frye Road was locked with no legal access to Route 111 as previously discussed in the thread. After taking a walk in the area there does not appear to be a lot of land between the houses and route 111 except rock and wetlands, so for the non-civil engineer types, it probably seems surprising there is enough room for what they are planning on installing. Change is a coming.

My point is simply this.....When the houses were built was that area zoned commercial, or zoned residential? If it was zoned commercial there is nothing to be complaining about. It's like buying next to a dump, moving in and then complaining about the smell.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby safety frog » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27 pm

From the Kingston BOS meeting of November 15, 2010

Notice of Interest in Danville Development Proposal
The Board signed a letter advising the Danville Planning Board of concerns relative to a proposed 400-resident Retirement Community and 200-employee medical facility planned for the Frye Road / Route 111 area. Concerns include the potential for strain on the Mutual Aid agreement for emergency services, and the drawdown of water resources from Kingston's aquifer.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm

safety frog wrote:From the Kingston BOS meeting of November 15, 2010

The Board signed a letter advising the Danville Planning Board of concerns relative to a proposed 400-resident Retirement Community and 200-employee medical facility planned for the Frye Road / Route 111 area. Concerns include the potential for strain on the Mutual Aid agreement for emergency services, and the drawdown of water resources from Kingston's aquifer.

I could understand the concern for emergency services, but if the building is designed properly to use 'environmentally friendly technology" such as the reuse of grey water, rainwater harvesting systems, etc. I really don't think there would be any impact on the aquifer.

Isn't the design to have an adjacent medical building, and on site nursing care? Wouldn't this greatly reduce the need for emergency services? Perhaps they should be required to provide their own contract with an ambulance service?
Last edited by SBinRockrimmon on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SBinRockrimmon

Postby C L » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:20 pm

safety frog wrote:From the Kingston BOS meeting of November 15, 2010

Being the keyword.

SBinRockrimmon wrote:I could understand the concern for emergency services, but if the building is designed properly to use 'environmentally friendly technology" such as the reuse of grey water, rainwater harvesting systems, etc. I really don't think there would be any impact. on the aquifer.

Isn't the design to have an adjacent medical building, and on site nursing care? Wouldn't this greatly reduce the need for emergency services? Perhaps they should be required to provide their own contract with an ambulance service?

Exactly
C L

Postby safety frog » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:31 am

but if the building is designed properly to use 'environmentally friendly technology" such as the reuse of grey water, rainwater harvesting systems, etc.

Key words "if" and then it must actually be used. Not sure how harvesting the rain water does anything but hurt the aquifer even further but not allowing the rain water to recharge the water table. Are they using water porous pavement for all the parking lots and road to allow the rain water to enter the ground?
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby C L » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:03 am

safety frog wrote:
but if the building is designed properly to use 'environmentally friendly technology" such as the reuse of grey water, rainwater harvesting systems, etc.

Key words "if" and then it must actually be used. Not sure how harvesting the rain water does anything but hurt the aquifer even further but not allowing the rain water to recharge the water table. Are they using water porous pavement for all the parking lots and road to allow the rain water to enter the ground?

I don't know, are they? Lets get all the facts on the table and make an educated decision.
C L

Postby curt » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 am

There is a statutory requirement to notify adjacent towns if something is expected to have regional impact. I took a quick spin through the RSAs yesterday but did not find it. It would be interesting to know if this fits the criteria in the law.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:25 am

safety frog wrote:Key words "if" and then it must actually be used. Not sure how harvesting the rain water does anything but hurt the aquifer even further but not allowing the rain water to recharge the water table. Are they using water porous pavement for all the parking lots and road to allow the rain water to enter the ground?

Please do some research and educate yourself about it before making false assumptions.

Harvesting rainwater has ZERO impact on the aquifer. As a matter of fact it has the opposite effect, as harvesting rainwater can actually be used to recharge the aquifer. The water must percolate through the ground to replenish the aquifer. This process happens very slowly. So slowly that the parking area will also have zero impact as the soil under the pavement will become saturated long before it will begin to replenish the aquifer. The majority (better than 95%) of the rainwater during a storm goes to runoff as it can't penetrate the earth as fast as it falls from the sky. Rainwater harvesting uses channels (like gutters) on the roof of a building to collect this water and divert it into a cistern. The water is then pumped and can be used to flush toilets, and irrigation. Typically running an aquifer dry is zero concern in this region.

Here is how the aquifer gets replenished...
http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/faculty/ritter/ ... water.html

I'm not a fan Of Wikipedia, but it was quick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainwater_harvesting

Rainwater harvesting is the accumulating and storing, of rainwater. It has been used to provide drinking water, water for livestock, water for irrigation or to refill aquifers in a process called groundwater recharge. Rainwater collected from the roofs of houses, tents and local institutions, can make an important contribution to the availability of drinking water. Water collected from the ground, sometimes from areas which are especially prepared for this purpose, is called Stormwater harvesting. In some cases, rainwater may be the only available, or economical, water source. Rainwater harvesting systems can be simple to construct from inexpensive local materials, and are potentially successful in most habitable locations. Roof rainwater can be of good quality and may not require treatment before consumption. Although some rooftop materials may produce rainwater that is harmful to human health, it can be useful in flushing toilets, washing clothes, watering the garden and washing cars; these uses alone halve the amount of water used by a typical home. Household rainfall catchment systems are appropriate in areas with an average rainfall greater than 200 mm (7.9 in) per year, and no other accessible water sources (Skinner and Cotton, 1992).

The biggest usage of well water is on golf courses. They use more water in one night than the average household will use in a year. What impact, if any, does Atkinson country club have on the wells of the residents of Atkinson?

How I know? This is what signs my paycheck. Although our company doesn't do the engineering impact study, we do engineer, supply and service the equipment used for rainwater harvesting, golf course irrigation, grey water reclaim, and domestic water systems.

All of this sounds like the NIMBY (Not in my back yard) syndrome. Everyone wants lower taxes, but no one wants to pay the price and have it next to them. Bottom line is if projects like this are going to get shot down, then lets zone the entire town of Danville residential. At least be upfront with the taxpayers and say we will not allow commercial business, no way, no how. That will give the residents the option of preparing for the continuing rising tax burden, or move to a more business friendly town.

safety frog - I going to go out on a limb here.....Am I safe to assume you live close to the projected site for this project?

This is from the first post in this thread.
The facility would also be operated using eco-friendly technology, such as solar power and geo-thermal energy.

SBinRockrimmon

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 am

safety frog wrote:Key words "if" and then it must actually be used.

I could be wrong, but can't the planning board make suggestions or even require the use of such systems in order to grant the permit?

SBinRockrimmon

PreviousNext

Return to Danville General