Commercial complexes planned in Danville

General Forum for Danville Topics

Re: Commercial complexes planned in Danville

Postby safety frog » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:02 am

So 600 poeple projected to be in the complex as presented above. That is similar to 150 houses of four people moving into the area with 150 wells, and its impact on the water table. We shall wait and see and assume that engineers do a proper job. As Curt will probably remind us we have little say when and where folks sink wells and how much water is drawn out of the ground. The NH PUC and NH DES will probably need to review the work as well.

Change is coming, was never against these projects, if they are done correctly. With 200 employees we will see close to 170 new vehicles per day coming into our neighborhood.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby Rob C » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:53 pm

SBinRockrimmon wrote:Isn't the design to have an adjacent medical building, and on site nursing care? Wouldn't this greatly reduce the need for emergency services? Perhaps they should be required to provide their own contract with an ambulance service?

I would think an adjacent medical building and on site nursing care would greatly reduce emergency services normally required for this population.

Consider this, on site nursing will be monitoring the well being of the assisted living folks 24/7. If someone starts down a bad path they will call a doctor and transfer out before an emergent situation evolves. Many of the assisted living folks will be DNR, that removes emergent response as well. They will have AEDs and diagnostic capability far exceeding what our Police can offer. Police would not be needed as first responders on the scene as the nursing staff would serve that purpose.

I'm assuming here but it makes sense to me that if the 55+ housing is gated and affiliated with the assisted living housing then they will have some agreement or procedure to access the on site nursing staff in case of an "emergency" (i.e. falling down stairs, slipping in the driveway, etc...). Maybe not.

Any way you cut it this is a win for our community. More jobs, broadens the tax base without adding children to the schools, etc...
Rob C
Rob C

Postby safety frog » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 pm

broadens the tax base
This sounds like a win for us. Is there a formula from the NH Dept of Revenue that indicates how Danville can calculate what this means for tax revenue from the new buildings and new business profit tax revenues? Those are the numbers to use to convince folks to support these projects. So far it is a big unknown. Nice to be able to say this will decrease our property tax rate $x.xx per $1,000. all across Danville.

We assume the health care facility will not be a non-profit operation?
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby Rob C » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

safety frog wrote:Is there a formula from the NH Dept of Revenue that indicates how Danville can calculate what this means for tax revenue from the new buildings and new business profit tax revenues? Those are the numbers to use to convince folks to support these projects. So far it is a big unknown. Nice to be able to say this will decrease our property tax rate $x.xx per $1,000. all across Danville.

Excellent point.

Do we know the potential value of this property and how they will be taxed? Were there any concessions made to get them to Danville?
Rob C
Rob C

Postby dmh » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Rob C wrote:
SBinRockrimmon wrote:Isn't the design to have an adjacent medical building, and on site nursing care? Wouldn't this greatly reduce the need for emergency services? Perhaps they should be required to provide their own contract with an ambulance service?

I would think an adjacent medical building and on site nursing care would greatly reduce emergency services normally required for this population.

Consider this, on site nursing will be monitoring the well being of the assisted living folks 24/7. If someone starts down a bad path they will call a doctor and transfer out before an emergent situation evolves. Many of the assisted living folks will be DNR, that removes emergent response as well. They will have AEDs and diagnostic capability far exceeding what our Police can offer. Police would not be needed as first responders on the scene as the nursing staff would serve that purpose.

I'm assuming here but it makes sense to me that if the 55+ housing is gated and affiliated with the assisted living housing then they will have some agreement or procedure to access the on site nursing staff in case of an "emergency" (i.e. falling down stairs, slipping in the driveway, etc...). Maybe not.

Any way you cut it this is a win for our community. More jobs, broadens the tax base without adding children to the schools, etc...

Emergency people still respond to DNR situations. Most people are not DNR at just 55+. There is also the issue of liability, I'm pretty sure if Aunt Sally slips going out the front door they are going to call EMS to have Auntie checked out. Unless this is a big medical facility they are not going to have X-ray or CT's to check for head injuries or broken bones. The facility would probably not take the liability of transporting directly to a medical facility in an injury situation.

One 911 was called then the police would probably be the first responder.

Description of assisted living from http://www.nhhca.org.

Services and Accommodations

Accommodations are usually private or semiprivate rooms with a private or shared bath. The services and activities provided or arranged for in assisted living residences generally include:

24-hour supervision;

Three meals a day in a group dining room; and

A range of services that promote the quality of life and independence of the individual; such as
- Personal care services (help with bathing, dressing, toileting, etc.)
- Medication management, or assistance with self-administration of medicine;
- Social services;
- Supervision and assistance for persons with Alzheimer's or other dementias and disabilities;
- Recreational and spiritual activities;
- Exercise and wellness programs;
- Laundry and linen service;
- Housekeeping and maintenance; and,
- Arrangements for transportation.

Not much high level medical care. I think may of these places employ mostly LNA's and not RN's. Generally there might be an MD associated with the place but is not necessarily ever on site.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Postby Rob C » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:31 am

dmh wrote:
Rob C wrote:Emergency people still respond to DNR situations. Most people are not DNR at just 55+. There is also the issue of liability, I'm pretty sure if Aunt Sally slips going out the front door they are going to call EMS to have Auntie checked out. Unless this is a big medical facility they are not going to have X-ray or CT's to check for head injuries or broken bones. The facility would probably not take the liability of transporting directly to a medical facility in an injury situation.

One 911 was called then the police would probably be the first responder.

I think what I was trying to say wasn't clear.

The facility would have an ambulance service under contract. This combined with on site nursing would greatly reduce the need to call 911 for health issues.

There is 55+ housing and then, separate from that, there is assisted living. I agree 55+ won't be DNR but many of the assisted living folks will be. If emergency personnel respond to a call from a nurse for a patient that is DNR then that is a colossal waste of money and foolish.

If Aunt Sally falls they would have the capability to assess the situation and call the contracted ambulance service to transport Auntie for her head trauma, police and 911 would not be necessary.

I'm not saying 911 will never be called, I'm saying the need for 911 will be greatly reduced.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby timd » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:33 pm

curt wrote:There is a statutory requirement to notify adjacent towns if something is expected to have regional impact. I took a quick spin through the RSAs yesterday but did not find it. It would be interesting to know if this fits the criteria in the law.

Curt...it's cleverly hidden next to the RSA's regulating regional planning commissons...RSA 36:54 through 36:58.
Atkinson has not received any notice and might have expected to just because of the increase in traffic on 111.
timd

Postby LM » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I work in long term care and calling 911 for a DNR resident is decided upon by the nurse on duty. If Aunt Sally falls, hits her head, and is bleeding profusely, 911 will usually be called, even is she is a DNR. Usually the police arrive first and the EMT's arrive second. In a small town, sometimes the ambulance arrives with their EMT's and other EMT's in town arrive in their own cars. If Aunt Sally had a stroke and is a DNR, 911 would not be called unless the nurse makes the decision that Aunt Sally can be helped without using extraordinary measures. In that case, usually the facility calls their own ambulance provider. There are times, however, that the ambulance provider cannot be at the facility within a reasonable amount of time to handle the situation, and then 911 is called. Situations vary...if a person is having chest pains, there are ways to deal with that immediately (and humanely) at a hospital compared to staying in the LTC facility where you need to get a doctors order to give out anything other than what is already prescribed. Maybe the person will die anyways, but there is a huge difference when someone dies peacefully and when they struggle with every last breath.

There are always LPN's or RN's on every shift. They have at least one doctor associated with them, and they come in the facility at least once a week.
LM

Postby safety frog » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:25 am

The desire of this project is to have water from Hampstead Water Company and not local wells.

Shawn

From the October 28th Planning board minutes the engineer for the project is listed as:

Ms. Fitzpatrick asked about water usage. Mr. Cummings said they have no plans for water at this time.

Wonder how they budget for financing when they had no plan for water? Test wells are installed on the southern end of Frye Road for the 32 house development going on.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby curt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:42 am

Rob posted the 11/18/10 Planning Board minutes.

Lots of stuff about the proposal.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby safety frog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:01 am

Thank you for the post, while looking at it there was minimal discussion on water issues with the exception that the board was considering at least two waivers to allow building in the wetlands, nothing on Hampstead Water company.

“Mr. Cummings reviewed the findings from the traffic study. It showed that those traveling
from Hunt Road to Route 111 will not use Old Johnson Road or Frye Road.”

How can they say traffic will not use those roads? Back in October I saw a man in a car with a counter on his steering wheel, sitting at the intersection of Johnson and Hunt road for a short period of time in the evening one day. He was not there for the morning commute or the lunch time, but a short time in the evening and certainly not the entire “rush hour” time from what I saw in my multiple trips that day. Is this the entire traffic study or did I miss other survey periods where he was there longer than an hour or two to base the study?

There was a discussion of signs that can be put near the proposed development. A “no thru traffic” sign or a weight limit sign can be posted. A sign posted in another town will have to beplaced with permission from that town.

Hunt road was already posted as no thru trucks from Kingston, through Hampstead and Danville, but trucks clearly labeled from businesses on Route 125 routinely are seen driving through from 111 at least weekly.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby safety frog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:04 am

This Board does not regulate blasting; only noting that a blasting plan is
part of the overall application.

One of the reasons folks are concerned is that issues do come up with blasting as has been in the paper with Windham and I 93 and the water contamination. Today we are reminded by the Union Leader again:

Blasting again halts Merrimack outlets' construction
By KIMBERLY HOUGHTON
Union Leader Correspondent
8 hours, 21 minutes ago
MERRIMACK – For the second time in two weeks, construction work at the Merrimack Premium Outlets site has been halted because of blasting violations.
The blasting permit was revoked on Monday by Fire Chief Michael Currier because a sound measurement at one of the reading sites exceeded the maximum level of 133.7 decibels. Currier said the permit was pulled until the fluctuating sound readings of 128 to 133.9 decibels could be investigated.
Last week, the blasting permit also was temporarily revoked due to an excessive blast. Complaints have been filed with the town in the past two weeks concerning what neighbors call an excessive blast, which reportedly vibrated buildings and cracked walls of nearby houses.
Although the permit was reinstated shortly thereafter, representatives of Maine Drilling and Blasting in Auburn were warned by town officials to comply with blasting specifications. Currier stressed Tuesday that the blasting company is now in compliance with vibration requirements. The sound readings are a separate issue he expects to be remedied quickly, he said.
Phil Straight, who lives on Spruce Street, about 1,000 feet from the blasting location, said the severe blast on Dec. 6 caused a 6-inch crack in his basement wall. Another nearby resident, Michael M. Mills of 7 Arbor St., says his house has sustained two cracks, one nearly 3 feet long.
Dennis F
safety frog

Re: BOS Arbitrarily Cuts Library Budget By $20k for "ethics"

Postby safety frog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 am

The town can not be hurting for money. From the Planning board minutes of October 28th the board changed the rules for the Development on Route 111.

Mr. Cummings explained that, per the Danville Site Plan Review Regulations (Regs), the calculation of $.06 per square foot of commercial space would make their application fees approximately $17,000. He said this is an exorbitant amount. He asked if the Board has the authority to change the fee. Barry said, as this is in the Regs, the Board does have the authority to waive the fee.

So again from the minutes

Bill moved and Dave seconded a motion to charge as the application fee $6442.56 per Site Plan Review Regulations §9.A.2. The Board discussed the motion. Barry said that if the motion carries, the applicant could refuse to pay and the meeting would be adjourned, as the Board should not accept the application without the fee. Russ P. suggested that the Board could accept it conditionally, with the promise that the fee be paid within a certain amount of time. The applicant could also seek an audience with the Zoning Board to see about reducing the fee.

Then, I assume for the same fee that went from $17,000 to $6442,56, they then approved a further reduction to $1,000? $17,000 is not a huge fee for a project that was reported to be a $100 million project.

Chip moved and Bill seconded a motion to amend the prior motion to $1000. Dave asked the Board if this would be setting a precedent for other applications. He was answered that this Board will discuss each application on its own merits: this waiver is for this application only. Chip said this is a very large project and the fee is larger than anything the author of the Regs intended to pay. The Board voted in favor on Chip’s motion; Dave opposed the motion. The motion passed.

How many years of property tax will it take to make up the $16,000 of waived fees? Was this considered?
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby C L » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:38 am

safety frog wrote:The town can not be hurting for money. From the Planning board minutes of October 28th the board changed the rules for the Development on Route 111.

Mr. Cummings explained that, per the Danville Site Plan Review Regulations (Regs), the calculation of $.06 per square foot of commercial space would make their application fees approximately $17,000. He said this is an exorbitant amount. He asked if the Board has the authority to change the fee. Barry said, as this is in the Regs, the Board does have the authority to waive the fee.

So again from the minutes

Bill moved and Dave seconded a motion to charge as the application fee $6442.56 per Site Plan Review Regulations §9.A.2. The Board discussed the motion. Barry said that if the motion carries, the applicant could refuse to pay and the meeting would be adjourned, as the Board should not accept the application without the fee. Russ P. suggested that the Board could accept it conditionally, with the promise that the fee be paid within a certain amount of time. The applicant could also seek an audience with the Zoning Board to see about reducing the fee.

Then, I assume for the same fee that went from $17,000 to $6442,56, they then approved a further reduction to $1,000? $17,000 is not a huge fee for a project that was reported to be a $100 million project.

Chip moved and Bill seconded a motion to amend the prior motion to $1000. Dave asked the Board if this would be setting a precedent for other applications. He was answered that this Board will discuss each application on its own merits: this waiver is for this application only. Chip said this is a very large project and the fee is larger than anything the author of the Regs intended to pay. The Board voted in favor on Chip’s motion; Dave opposed the motion. The motion passed.

How many years of property tax will it take to make up the $16,000 of waived fees? Was this considered?

Good point. And I couldn't even get an abatement on my property that's taxed 35% over it's market value.
C L

Postby safety frog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:57 am

Need to ask Russ P. who was in on the planning board decision. He seems to be the man with all the answers.
Dennis F
safety frog

PreviousNext

Return to Danville General