Memorial Day Parade

General Forum for Danville Topics

Memorial Day Parade

Postby curt » Sun May 22, 2011 7:09 pm

The Memorial Day parade will kick off at 10 am on Saturday, May 28.

The grand marshall is a Pearl Harbor Day survivor. I should have written down the name (last name DiFeo) when I saw the notice at town hall. I will post the full name tomorrow unless somebody beats me to it.
Curt Springer
curt

Re: Memorial Day Parade

Postby curt » Mon May 23, 2011 6:01 pm

The grand marshal is Sam DiFeo.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby curt » Sun May 29, 2011 11:25 pm

I did not attend this year, was out of town overnight. How was it?
Curt Springer
curt

Postby Patricia » Mon May 30, 2011 10:21 am

The weather held - it was well attended and a pretty nice parade. Sam Difeo did a great job when he spoke and Betsy gave a really interesting background of Danville's participation in the Civil War. O'Neil's did a great (and yummy) breakfast as a kick-off!!
Patricia

Postby curt » Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks for the update.

I always like to visit the Danville Civil War monument at Center Cemetery, dedicated to the Danville men "who fought in defense of our union during the late rebellion."

My own Danville family's record in the war is not commendable, according to family accounts. Francis F. Dimond, my great great uncle, was born in 1840 so he would have been prime draft age when the war started in 1861. He grew up in what is now Jack Howland's house across from town hall. The story is that his father bought his way out of the draft, which was legal then. I have not been able to find any record of this transaction. But I did find very detailed records of Danville enlistments in the war, and Francis is not listed. Also, his father, my great great grandfather, had a lot of bucks. Francis bought what is now my 32 acre woodlot in 1880 for $900.
Curt Springer
curt

Return to Danville General