Selectmen meeting Etiquette

General Forum for Danville Topics

Selectmen meeting Etiquette

Postby Sheila » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Can someone explain why the Selectmen do not read the mail or other items that are of interest to the public or do they assume the public watching the meeting can understand what their talking,signing or proposing behind the paperwork.

Curt, it would have been nice to hear your proposed ordinance tonight. Its too bad no one thought about it.

Sheila
Sheila

Re: Selectmen meeting Etiquette

Postby JC » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:38 am

Sheila,

I am not sure that this falls under the category of etiqutte, however the constructive criticism is always welcomed! I can see your point, however, I can't speak for the entire board but I take your criticism under consideration.

Judi Cogswell
If you dont't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
Maya Angelou
JC

Postby Sheila » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 am

JC wrote:Sheila,

I am not sure that this falls under the category of etiqutte, however the constructive criticism is always welcomed! I can see your point, however, I can't speak for the entire board but I take your criticism under consideration.

Judi Cogswell

Thanks Judi, would be nice to know what decisions are being made on in its entire contents. A prime example was Curt's proposal. That is just one example of last night.

Sheila
Sheila

Postby safety frog » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:39 pm

A few weeks ago there was the mention the selectmen signed a letter to NH DOT. What letter? About what topic? In support of what or against what? Impact to Town? The minutes are very vague in many cases.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby Sheila » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:38 pm

They talk a good talk about education to the public, when they themselves lack it. The time to get the word out on things that they want residents to vote on or do is NOW. Not a month before voting or a mailing the day before they vote.

You want the residents to be informed......then you need to open your mouths at the meetings and talk about what your voting on, reading or making decissions on.

Sheila
Sheila

Postby curt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:31 pm

You can read versions of the proposed ordinance HERE.

Please comment on the substance of the ordinances there, not here.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby curt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:38 pm

I agree that it would be good if the selectmen would make more of an effort to explain what is going on. I sometimes watch meetings in another town, and the chairman there will often say something like "for the benefit of viewers, we are doing....."

This issue predates the current board by many years, probably since 1760. The focus of the meeting is to get business done. I think that the board members forget that there are people watching and listening.

I think that to have better explanations, it would need to be the express duty of one selectmen at each meeting to break in and explain what is going on. It could be the chair but would not have to be. And it would not need to be the same member each time.
Curt Springer
curt

Return to Danville General