Can anyone answer a question for me regarding animals?

General Forum for Danville Topics

Can anyone answer a question for me regarding animals?

Postby Tigger4 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:12 am

I was wondering if there is any regulations in the town that states how many animals/birds a person can have? Some towns only allow a certain number of animals/birds per square feet or acres. Does Danville have any regulations that address this? Any regulations that address noise or smell in regards to having many animals? I have asked around, including at the town hall, and can't seem to get a definitive answer. Maybe I am not asking the right people or wording my question correctly. Any help is much appreciated. Just an FYI - I am not against people having animals, but I do believe animals/birds should have sufficient space and the living space should be one they can thrive in not just survive in.
Tigger4

Re: Can anyone answer a question for me regarding animals?

Postby curt » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:19 pm

Whatever we have, and I don't think there is much of anything, would be found in the town zoning ordinance. If animals are being kept for agricultural purposes, e.g., production of milk, eggs or meat, state and/or federal laws or regulations might apply.

Note that our residential zone is actually "residential / agricultural", and there can be conflicts between these two uses.

You might want to call our state rep, Betsy Sanders, 642-5070. I know she had some involvement in a situation where a neighbor was keeping animals and there were complaints of smells and flies.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby Tigger4 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:56 pm

Thank you, I may give her a call.
Tigger4

Postby etocc » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:27 pm

Maybe this will help you , curt is correct , the town does zone residential / agricultural and state laws states all lands in nh shall be deemed agricultural , so you are free to raise animals anywhere in NH , but if you sell an animal then you and the premises have to be licensed, unless you are exempted under RSA 437:7 Exception see all below

any use under 674:32-b for "live stock" does require you follow the recomendation of the DEPT Of AGR best practices Booklet , the NH state VET Steve Crawford Can supply you with a copy, there use to be a link online but i could not find it

It is beyond the power of the town to zone out agriculture or to limit it , this was confirmed By the NH Supreme court in Clapp V Town of Jaffrey

674:32-b Existing Agricultural Uses. – Any agricultural use which exists pursuant to RSA 674:32-a may without restriction be expanded, altered to meet changing technology or markets, or changed to another agricultural use, as set forth in RSA 21:34-a

437:1 License Required. – No person, firm, corporation or other entity shall engage in the business of transferring with or without a fee or donation required, to the public, live animals or birds customarily used as household pets unless the premises on which they are housed, harbored or displayed for such purposes are duly licensed and inspected by the department of agriculture, markets, and food of the state of New Hampshire. This section shall also apply to commercial kennels and to any person, firm, corporation, or other entity engaged in the business of, including activity as a broker, transferring live animals or birds customarily used as household pets for transfer to the public, with or without a fee required, and whether or not a physical facility is owned by the licensee in New Hampshire when transfer to the final owner occurs within New Hampshire. These provisions shall not effect the provisions of RSA 437:7.

437:7 Exception. – The license provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to breeders of dogs licensed under the provisions of RSA 466:6; veterinarians; owners and operators of horse riding stables; and auctioneers, breeders or keepers of farm livestock

and if anyone raises animals to be sold to a pet shop or broker then they need a federal licence , from the US dept of Agriculture, the local branch is now located in Boston

I hope this helps
etocc

Postby Tigger4 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:41 pm

This explains it, but I guess it doesn't help me out any. Do you know of any regulations concerning raising meat birds. Are there any health regulations you need to follow when slaughtering them? What about raising rabbits for the same purpose? Is there a proper way to dispose of the inedible parts? Thank you Curt and etocc for you input. :)
Tigger4

Postby etocc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:08 am

I would assume none if they do the butchering themselves and only if the meat was for themselves , slaughter houses are licensed and inspected by both the US and State dept of AGR

You should call Dr Crawford to address your concerns. Division of Animal Industry Telephone: (603) 271-2404
etocc

Postby curt » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 pm

You might also check with the health inspector, Brian Lockard, regarding disposition of animal parts. Either the health inspector can create local regulations subject to approval by the selectmen, or vice-versa, I can't remember. Anyhow they both have to sign off.
Curt Springer
curt

Return to Danville General