General Forum for Timberlane Regional School District (TRSD) Topics

Danville third-graders portray famous personalities

Postby curt » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:59 am

Published: June 05, 2008 05:55 am

History comes alive Danville third-graders portray famous personalities
By Christine Dube
Eagle Tribune
Correspondent

DANVILLE — Queen Elizabeth visited Danville Elementary School on Friday afternoon. So did Laura Ingalls Wilder, Teddy Roosevelt, George Washington and Paul Revere.

These and other famous personalities were portrayed by third-graders at the school's second annual Wax Museum. They spent the past month researching and writing reports about them.

As parents, teachers and students filed into the gymnasium, each third-grader struck a pose. When someone pressed the button beside them, the children came to life and recited information they memorized about their famous person.

"I am King Tut, otherwise known as King Tutankhamen," said Mya Hollins. "I was the king of upper and lower Egypt. I died when I was 19."

Katelynn Brunelle was dressed in a glittery silver dress and had ice skates on her table.

"I am Kristi Yamaguchi," she said. "I was born on July 12, 1971, and I won a gold medal in the Olympics. I also won 'Dancing with the Stars.'"

Caylie O'Malley had practiced her British accent for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth.

"I studied to be queen, just like my mother," she said.

Besides the research and reports, the students each wrote a poem about their famous person, and one class made dioramas to depict the lifestyle of their well-known personality. The students also had to come up with a costume.

NASCAR favorite Dale Earnhardt Jr. was portrayed by Brendan Kelley.

"My mom helped me with my shirt," he said, referring to the decals and sponsors painted on his long sleeve T-shirt. "My dad spray-painted my pants to make them green like Dale Jr.'s."

Madeline McGuire was dressed as Sacagawea, and carried a papoose in her arms.

"I was born in the 1780s and I am a Native American," she said. "I was part of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. President Jefferson told us to find a new route to the Pacific Ocean."

"What a great way to do this," first-grade teacher Linda Braffitt said of the interactive presentation as she left the gymnasium with her students. Because her students were able to walk around and go from presentation to presentation, she felt they got more out of it. "It was much better than having them just sit and listen."
Curt Springer
curt

Return to Timberlane General