Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

General Forum for Timberlane Regional School District (TRSD) Topics

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby safety frog » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 pm

The topic of warrant article and "trust" merged.

Anyone else remember the school board meeting where one of the curriculum coordinators, allowed $35,000. to be transferred from his (our) book budget to pay for cost overruns for a construction project in the high school? The next year we had many "packets" and copies of pages out of books.

Does anyone remember the utter underestimation of costs, and code requirements and lack of regard to following protocol for fire code and department approvals at Atkinson? Sorry, after 16 years of TRSD and 4 more to go, tough to keep the topics straight as the stories abound. We also lived through PAC and school upgrade years with students at the time in Danville and the MS and HS.

As far as the athletic areas, I know from having two high school athletes over five years, no one showers at school after practice or games, so building new showers that no one will use is not a good use of dollars.

I work in schools K-12 all across New England and there are some very good administrators, business agents and facility folks in many of them, so to see the odd and out of touch things over the years here at TRSD, I just laugh now. One thing that is common is that it seems every Superintendent wants their brass plaque on the wall for a building, sometime during their tenure at each school they are at. you can even follow a couple folk's resume by looking their various plaques in different school districts. :wink:
Dennis F
safety frog
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:40 am
Location: Danville

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Resident » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:02 pm

Rob C wrote:I'm not doubting you, just looking for more information. When was the last time you were asked to pay for a book?

For my students, Fall of 2010 and Spring of 2011.
Resident
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Rob C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Resident wrote:
Rob C wrote:I'm not doubting you, just looking for more information. When was the last time you were asked to pay for a book?

For my students, Fall of 2010 and Spring of 2011.

Was this the HS?
Were these text books or novels?
Was this required reading?

Just trying to get more info.
Rob C
Rob C
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby dmh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:56 pm

HS , not sure of the years, 2009, 2010?
Yes required reading, in one class it was probably about $40, these books were used during the school year, not summer reading. Had to purchase different books for the same class different child another year, and could not pass the on to other students in later years.


Of course, it is alot cheaper than the books purchased for college.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby dmh » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:05 pm

SF,

The numbers are probably a bit off, but it seems like 32m for the pac and a 6m request for money to finish.
Atkinson Kindergarten renovations were under 500K, but when problems were found they had the 100K in the construction budget to pay for them. Trust that the School is not good with our money and have no clue when it comes to construction.


About the time that Mr Cocker gave away the 32k (I thought it was about 45K) from the book fund to repaint the autism classroom to a better color, the freshman class goverment class could not take home the textbooks as there was only enough books for 1 class for each teacher teaching it. At the time, the books which were a few editions behind were selling on the secondary market for $4 each.

Teachers have also purchased books on the secondary market for students, as one year the receipt was still in the book.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Resident » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Rob C wrote:
Resident wrote:
Rob C wrote:I'm not doubting you, just looking for more information. When was the last time you were asked to pay for a book?

For my students, Fall of 2010 and Spring of 2011.

Was this the HS?
Were these text books or novels?
Was this required reading?

Just trying to get more info.

Yes, it was the HS.
Both
Yes, required reading.
Resident
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:37 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Rob C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Resident wrote:
Rob C wrote:Was this the HS?
Were these text books or novels?
Was this required reading?

Just trying to get more info.

Yes, it was the HS.
Both
Yes, required reading.

Thank you Resident.

Is there anyone else who has had the same experience as Resident and dmh? Please let me know. It is unacceptable to me that a student would be required to purchase books for a public education.
Rob C
Rob C
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Rob C » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:13 pm

dmh wrote:The numbers are probably a bit off, but it seems like 32m for the pac and a 6m request for money to finish. Atkinson Kindergarten renovations were under 500K, but when problems were found they had the 100K in the construction budget to pay for them. Trust that the School is not good with our money and have no clue when it comes to construction.

I understand your frustration after the 2000 construction bond. I didn't live it but I've heard enough stories to get a feel for what happened.

With that said this Administration has a much better track record than the previous. Mr. LaSalle has overseen many construction projects that have been at or below budget. These include the HS engineering lab, the Danville kitchen, the Atkinson kitchen and most recently the Pollard kitchen. All large and successful projects responsibly done.

To stain the current administration with the faults of the prior just isn't fair.
Rob C
Rob C
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby dmh » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:46 am

Rob C wrote:With that said this Administration has a much better track record than the previous. Mr. LaSalle has overseen many construction projects that have been at or below budget. These include the HS engineering lab, the Danville kitchen, the Atkinson kitchen and most recently the Pollard kitchen. All large and successful projects responsibly done.

To stain the current administration with the faults of the prior just isn't fair.



Mr LaSalle has been working for the SAU for sometime. Wasn't he the assistant super back in 2007 and possibly before?
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 am

Rob C wrote:Thank you Resident.

Is there anyone else who has had the same experience as Resident and dmh? Please let me know. It is unacceptable to me that a student would be required to purchase books for a public education.


When my oldest (graduated 08) was in HS we did not experience issues with being REQUIRED to buy books, but there were classes where the books could not leave the classroom due to not enough for all students. This made homework assignments impossible or a simply copy of the homework assignment with no way to reference the lesson.

It is not only unacceptable that a student be required to purchase a book in a public school, but there should also be enough books for ALL the students. The only time a student should pay for a book is in cases of loss or damage. I find it saddening that some school districts are issuing students ipads and we have issues just getting enough books to go around. Having the required current lesson plan and material should take top priority. These purchases should be made before a single penny is spent on ANYTHING else. Children should be taught how to learn on their own. Having the material related to the lesson plan is the first step in teaching them how to find information on their own.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Rob C » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:15 am

dmh wrote:Mr LaSalle has been working for the SAU for sometime. Wasn't he the assistant super back in 2007 and possibly before?

Yes he was. He shows up in the 2006 annual report which puts his first year in the 2005-2006 academic year I believe.

My experience has been that the Assistant Superintendent really doesn't wield much power, if any at all. From what I have seen and heard of Dr. McDonald I can't imagine that things were different. Dr. McDonald held control up to and including most, if not all, of the Kindergarten classroom building. Mr. LaSalle became the Superintendent during the construction of the classrooms. That ball had already been in motion for some time.
Rob C
Rob C
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Rob C » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:23 am

SBinRockrimmon wrote:I find it saddening that some school districts are issuing students ipads and we have issues just getting enough books to go around. Having the required current lesson plan and material should take top priority. These purchases should be made before a single penny is spent on ANYTHING else. Children should be taught how to learn on their own. Having the material related to the lesson plan is the first step in teaching them how to find information on their own.

Funny you should say this, I believe you said your child will be entering Kindergarten next year? He/she may be using a tablet as part of a pilot program in the younger grades. The HS and MS will also be using other devices as well.

This is an effort to understand how to best utilize technology. In other words they believe an iPad like device would be better for the younger grades (more expensive but more interactive) as opposed to a nook type device in the older grades (less expensive and more content driven but every student could potentially have one to download books onto from mass license purchases that would be reused year after year).
Rob C
Rob C
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:23 am

Rob C wrote:Funny you should say this, I believe you said your child will be entering Kindergarten next year? He/she may be using a tablet as part of a pilot program in the younger grades. The HS and MS will also be using other devices as well.


I'm on the fence as to my feelings about this. Overall I believe it to be a good idea. I'm a bit sentimental to having textbooks, but the technology isn't going away and the kids will need to know how to use it. As a parent I don't like the idea of paying to replace a lost or stolen tablet. While I've never had to pay for a lost, stolen or damaged textbook, they are a lot less susceptible to theft than a tablet. I would suggest offering the parents some kind of insurance program.

My son will be entering Kindergarten this year.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby Rob C » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:19 pm

The more expensive tablets would stay in school. 6 year olds would not be taking them home.

HS students would take them home, there would be an insurance plan and they would be nook type devices that are typically the cost of a textbook, around $100.
Rob C
Rob C
 
Posts: 2021
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:51 am

Re: Does Timberlane have a trust issue?

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 pm

Rob C wrote:The more expensive tablets would stay in school. 6 year olds would not be taking them home.

HS students would take them home, there would be an insurance plan and they would be nook type devices that are typically the cost of a textbook, around $100.


I assumed that 5 & 6 year old children would not take them home. I was questioning the older kids. Since there is an insurance plan I would be on board with this plan. While the nook is a good idea I think that a tablet or laptop type device would be more diverse and suitable for older children especially High School age. I also think that parents should be allowed the option to purchase their own compatible device.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Timberlane General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron