Timberlane superintendent to leave this summer

General Forum for Timberlane Regional School District (TRSD) Topics

Postby curt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:14 am

March 31, 2012

By Cara Hogan chogan@eagletribune.com

PLAISTOW — Timberlane Regional School Superintendent Richard La Salle is leaving for a new position at an educational nonprofit center in Southern New Hampshire.

La Salle will become the executive director for the South Eastern Regional Education Service Center, or SERESC, a Bedford-based group that provides education consulting and professional development for local school districts.

The executive committee and Board of Directors chose La Salle for the job Thursday night, according to Dr. Richard Ayers, SERESC acting executive director.

"We chose him because Richard is known as an innovative thinker in education," he said. "He is well acquainted with New Hampshire and has excellent standing among his colleagues. And he has a full understanding of SERESC and has been on the board for about seven years."

La Salle will start in his new position on Aug. 1 and will leave his job at Timberlane sometime in July, Ayers said. He will be responsible for overseeing the educational consultation operations of SERESC, including the conference center run by the group. La Salle's current salary at Timberlane is $138,679 a year, but Ayers did not disclose his new salary at SERESC.

La Salle has been Timberlane's superintendent for seven years and has worked for more than 30 years in local school districts, according to Timberlane School Board member Michael Mascola, who is also on the Board of Directors for SERESC.

"He is retiring from the New Hampshire educational system and he will be missed," Mascola said yesterday.

School Board Chairman Robert Collins said he didn't know La Salle was planning to leave the district until this week.

"It was a big surprise," he said. "I'm happy for him that he's moving on to an opportunity that he feels fits him well."

The board is already starting the search for a new district superintendent. Collins said the SAU board will have a special meeting Wednesday to start the process.

The competition could be stiff. Derry just hired a new superintendent earlier this month. Windham is looking and Pelham is expected to be searching before too long, once that SAU dissolves.

"It sounds like there is a lot of competition, but I'm confident we'll be able to find a person that will do excellent in the position," Collins said. "It's an opportunity to select someone that will make Timberlane a better place."

Many School Board members said La Salle has done a lot for the school in his time there. Hampstead School Board member Natalie Gallo said she will be sad to see him go.

"I'm very happy for him because he's going to be at a very important position at SERESC and I'm very sad for the district," she said. "At his point in life, where he's going to retire in a few years, this is an opportune time to move to SERESC. But I will miss him."

• • •
Curt Springer
curt

Re: Timberlane superintendent to leave this summer

Postby Rob C » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:56 am

Peter Bealo on the Timberlane Parent's Forum wrote:Had a great 1st meeting last night. Really got off to a good start.

1) Chose to go forward by hiring NESDEC to lead the search. They're a little pricey but sem to do a good job. They just finished Derry's search and did Sanborn's search last year. In both cases search information including methodology, focus group results and schedules are on those districts' websites. I like the openness.

2) Chose NOT to go into closed session to discuss any internal candidiates. Only 1 member strongly pushed the idea of NO search and just handing the reigns over to someone internal. Several members spoke against this as shirking our duty.

3) Agreed to televise future meetings. But, since we can't broadcast directly from SAU to Hampstead, we agreed not to broadcast live and only show tape beginning 24 hours later in both districts. Some Hampstead members seemed concerned about Timberlane taxpayers seeing it 1st, though why truly escapes me.

4) We meet again next Wed at 7PM.

Peter B.

I concur with Peter's comments. The process has begun to find the new Superintendent.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby AlfredTwo » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 am

Picking a superentendent is the single most simportant task a school board takes on. Doing a full blown search is the only responsible thing to do. This doesn't rule out the job going to someone internal at the end but it does make it more likely that doing so is the right choice.
AlfredTwo

Postby Rob C » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:40 am

[url]=http://timberlaneschools.forumsland.com/timberlaneschools-post-1954.html#1954Peter Bealo on the Timberlane Parent's Forum[/url] wrote:SAU Board meeting last night, Wed April 18.

Highlights (you can watch it in entirety on TV beginning tonight):

Elected new SAU Board Chair: Michael Mascola on an 8 to 5 vote
Elected new SAU Board Vice Chair: Jaye Dimando on an 8 to 5 vote

Mr. LaSalle presented his closing comments to the SAU Board on accomplishments and work ongoing. It was an impressive list.

Mr. LaSalle presented NECAP test results of Timberlane and Hampstead as compared to similar districts on the state, New England states and nation. results are far better than many realize. Both districts are very competitive with other districts their size. I strongly recommended that these charts be put up on the SAU site.

Spent long time with NESDEC, our consultant in finding a new Superintendent. Very good conversation. We agreed to a "normal" schedule, around 3.5 - 4 months in order to not shortchange ourselves. Agreed to their normal methodology including several focus groups for teachers, parents, other citizens: stay tuned for this, lots of opportunities for your input! Noted that NESDEC recommends having the process VERY public with lots of published info on SAU website, board concurred. You can see how they did this recently by visiting Derry (correction) Oyster River and Sanborn School District websites where search information and focus group results are still posted.

These are just my notes, not a comprehensive set of minutes. In my opinion the meeting went very well and we accomplished everything we needed.

Peter B.

Derry Focus Group Summary

Oyster River Search Information
Rob C
Rob C

Postby safety frog » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am

"The SAU 55 Board will hold a special meeting on Friday, May 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm at the Superintendent’s Office, 30 Greenough Road, Plaistow, NH. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the Superintendent selection process with representatives from NESDEC* and to appoint a screening/focus committee.

Michael Mascola, Chair
School Administrative Unit No. 55 Board
April 19, 2012"
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby curt » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 am

I hope the process will determine goals that the school boards want the superintendent to achieve.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby Rob C » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm

curt wrote:I hope the process will determine goals that the school boards want the superintendent to achieve.

Not only that but the focus groups (one of which will be for the School Boards) will capture the goals/needs of the staff and community for consideration when searching for the new Super.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby Rob C » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Here is the video of the last SAU Board meeting.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby Rob C » Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 am

I was not able to attend this meeting.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby Rob C » Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 am

Peter Bealo wrote:We're looking to hold a total of 7 focus groups.

Senior Citizens Wed. June 6, 3PM at Vic Geary Center

Parents of TRSD and Hampstead school District Thurs June 7, 7PM at TR High School

Students Thurs June 7, I didn't note the time or location (I assume TRHS)

Teachers Thurs June 7, I didn't note time or location

Local community officials and leaders Wed June 6, 7PM at TRHS

May 25 SAU administrators

May 31 SAU Board

There will be releases going out to local newspapers, SAU Board members will be giving releases to Town Managers for posting, 10 Channel will publicize. No registration required, all within each catagory are welcome.

Peter B.

For any community members interested in participating in the focus groups collecting information to be utilized in selecting our next Superintendent please attend one of the meetings detailed above.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby AlfredTwo » Mon May 21, 2012 11:37 am

I'm tempted to suggest a group made up of parents who have elected to spend good sums of money out of pocket because they didn't think their children would get a good enough education if they attended Timberlane Schools. But of course no one cares about them other than they save the district a good bit of money.
AlfredTwo

Postby Rob C » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 am

Rob C
Rob C

Postby safety frog » Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 am

How do the common folk voters get input so that the new contract supports the students and parents versus being one sided to the Superintendent as the last contract was giving Mr. LaSalle up to three years salary if we canceled his contract?

To all Parents of students enrolled in the Timberlane Regional School District:
In the next few weeks, the SAU Board intends to appoint a Screening Committee to assist in the superintendent search process. While the Board has the sole authority to appoint the superintendent, it wishes to have the benefit of input from a Screening Committee made up of various members of the community and schools. The Screening Committee will review applications, interview candidates and recommend several candidates for further consideration.
The SAU Board invites all parents interested in serving on the Screening Committee to submit their name for consideration. The expectation is that those selected will be available to attend several evening meetings including all the candidate interview sessions, and he/she should understand that much of the business of the Screening Committee will require a high degree of confidentiality as potential candidates’ names and application materials will be reviewed and discussed. A copy of the search timeline is enclosed for your convenience. Please contact me through email ONLY (robcollins89@gmail.com, subject line “Screening Committee – PARENTS TRSD”) no later than Wednesday, June 13th.
The first meeting of the Screening Committee is tentatively scheduled for the first week of July, at which time Dr. Ken DeBenedictis, New England School Development Council (NESDEC) search consultant will facilitate a training workshop. During this meeting the consultant will also assist in reviewing applications, and in selecting candidates the Screening Committee wishes to interview. The interview schedule, agenda and questions will also be developed at a second meeting that week. As you can see, many tasks must be accomplished during the meetings so members should plan to be available for approximately three hours each meeting.
In subsequent meetings, it is anticipated the Screening Committee will interview a total of approximately 8-10 candidates who best meet the profile that has been established for the superintendent position. At the conclusion of the interviews, the Screening Committee will recommend 3-5 candidates for further consideration by the SAU Board.
Selecting a new Superintendent of Schools is an important activity for the entire community, and it requires an extraordinary commitment of time and energy. The Board would greatly appreciate your participation in this process. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me through email ONLY (robcollins89@gmail.com, subject line “Screening Committee – PARENTS TRSD”).
Very truly yours,
Robert Collins
Chair, Screening Selection Committee
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby AlfredTwo » Wed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm

safety frog wrote:How do the common folk voters get input so that the new contract supports the students and parents versus being one sided to the Superintendent as the last contract was giving Mr. LaSalle up to three years salary if we canceled his contract?

Talking to our school board members is likely to be the best way. Early and often.
AlfredTwo

Postby Rob C » Wed May 30, 2012 2:55 pm

safety frog wrote:How do the common folk voters get input so that the new contract supports the students and parents versus being one sided to the Superintendent as the last contract was giving Mr. LaSalle up to three years salary if we canceled his contract?

Go to one of the focus groups (see below)! If you'd like to discuss in more detail (your wording can be interpreted in many ways) with me or any other SB member please call/send email.

The SAU 55 School Board (Hampstead and Timberlane school districts) have engaged the New England School Development Council (NESDEC) to assist in the search for a new Superintendent of Schools. An integral part of this process involves community participation by way of focus groups. These groups are designed to obtain participant input about the attributes, experience and knowledge that the new superintendent should possess. These groups also provide an opportunity for participants to identify immediate tasks which they deem the new superintendent should address. Each group session will last approximately 1-1 ½ hours. Separate focus group sessions for each category of participants will be conducted as follows:

- Administrators and SAU staff members will meet Thursday, May 31st at 4pm in Room 614 at the Timberlane Regional High School.
- Local officials and community members will meet Wednesday, June 6th, 7pm in the Timberlane Regional High School cafeteria.
- Senior citizens will meet Wednesday, June 6th, 3pm at the Vic Geary Senior Center, Greenough Road, Plaistow.
- Parents of students will meet Thursday, June 7th, 7pm in Room 614 at the Timberlane Regional High School.
- Professional and support staff members will meet Thursday, June 7th at 3:30pm in Room 612 at the Timberlane Regional High School.

Registration for the Focus Groups is not required. Individuals unable to attend any of these sessions are welcome to submit their comments in writing to:

Dr. Ken DeBenedictis, NESDEC
SAU 55 Superintendent Search
28 Lord Road
Marlborough, MA 01752
or email: search@nesdec.org

The SAU Board values the input and opinions of others in this initiative and hopes many will take advantage of this opportunity to participate.

Michael Mascola, Chairman
School Administrative Unit No. 55
mmascola@gmail.com
Rob C
Rob C

Next

Return to Timberlane General