cupcake generation or helicopter parents

General Forum for Timberlane Regional School District (TRSD) Topics

cupcake generation or helicopter parents

Postby dmh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Daily the traffic is backing up on Greenough road as parents stop to drop their kids off at the first door(near the office) versus pulling forward as the signs clearly indicate.

Wondering this morning if needing to be near that door is a factor of cupcake generation or helicopter parents?
Yes, it is winter in New England, wear a jacket if it is cold out.
Yes, you might have to walk a few more steps, exercise is good.
If you are running late, get up earlier.
If mommy or daddy needs to see their little one enter the building, you are going to have lots of issues in the next few years.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Re: cupcake generation or helicopter parents

Postby safety frog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 am

Drop off kids should take the bus or pay a fee to drop off.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:45 am

safety frog wrote:Drop off kids should take the bus or pay a fee to drop off.

That's insane. Why should parents pay a fee to NOT use a service? Just because it is an inconvenience to you does not mean there should be a rule, law, or fee. If anything parents should get a tax discount for not using the bus service.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby safety frog » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

Because it becomes very hectic and potentially dangerous over there in the morning. Where are all the green movement supporters? The buses make the routes around town anyway, so might as well cut down on the gas burned and harmful fumes generated by the extra vehicles :P
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby Copper » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Ugh. And we wonder why kids aren't leaving the nest when they "should". I agree with Safety Frog.
Copper

Postby Rob C » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 pm

So this is really interesting...

Dennis, you are in favor of a fee to drop off kids?

dmh, what do you think of that?
Rob C
Rob C

Postby SBinRockrimmon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I think you would have great opposition to paying a fee to drop off kids. As I stated earlier it's insane to think someone would need to pay a fee to NOT use a service (bus transportation). Things aren't always as they seem either. My son gets dropped off from his daycare in one of their personal vehicles. I'm sure I'm not alone in this situation. There could be many reasons that a parent would choose to transport their child to school. Perhaps they own property in Danville, but only have access to their property through a neighboring town (like Kingston or Freemont) and therefore do not have public transportation available and cannot send their child to school in the other town. Perhaps a parent goes to work at the same time and it's more convenient to bring them. Maybe the parents don't like the fact that school buses do not have seat belts or any type of restraint for the children (despite that restraints are mandatory for children under 18 riding in any other vehicle). Charging a fee would only encourage a number of parents to drop their children off on the main road causing potential hazards and impeding other traffic.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people willing to make a law, charge a fee, impose a fine, etc. because a certain routine and normal activity inconveniences THEM. If we're going to go down that road, how about we charge the school bus driver a fee if they make more than one stop every 1/8 mile? I've see buses stop at two different houses that are next door to each other. How about a fine for any bus driver that has a conversation with a parent while holding up traffic with the red light flashing? After all those things often make me get to work 10 minutes later, but since I'm a believer in being left alone and free from as many fees, taxes, and laws as possible I would never seriously propose such measures. As for the school adding such a fee.....I would start dropping my child off at school out of spite, keep sending me the bill and see if it gets paid. :roll:
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Benjamin Franklin
SBinRockrimmon

Postby Thundergirl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:08 am

I thought for sure Safety Frog was joking about parents paying a fee to drop off their children. I drop my son off at the middle school every morning. It’s on my way to work and saves him from catching the bus at 6:30 so why not? If the roads are bad, I also feel safer with him in my trusty Subaru than on the bus. I have not had any problems with traffic, sometimes there is a line but it’s very orderly. He does not get picked up or dropped off in front of his house like so many others. So if you want to impose a fee or insist that every kid take the bus instead be prepared to pick my kid up and drop him off in front of his house too. We pay the same tax rate for Danville so we might as well get the same benefits.
"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." - Wimpy
Thundergirl

Postby safety frog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:51 am

The smiley face did not give it away??

Here in South Danville, if my son took the bus, he would have to get on close to 6:00 AM for the full ride. Versus leaving house at 6:50 iwth his mom.

I can see charging high schoolers for parking permits, with the ones closer to the school at a higher rate than those farther away.

It is just so funny every day on my commute around the state seeing the many cars lined up AM or PM at the various schools, engines running, wasting gas spewing green house gas into the air, just so the kiddies can stay off a bus.....
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby dmh » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:56 pm

There could be many reasons that a parent would choose to transport their child to school. Perhaps they own property in Danville, but only have access to their property through a neighboring town (like Kingston or Freemont) and therefore do not have public transportation available and cannot send their child to school in the other town.

This is the situation for those that live in the Johnson/Frye road/Kassie lane portion of town. The busses must enter East Hamptead to get back into Danville

A parent infact told me when they renovated the bridge on Johnson Road. The bus company wanted to pick up the kids at Johnson and Hunt Road which was in East Hampstead. Either the parents had to make the 2 mile detour to get to the stop with the kids, or the kids would have been walking down the hunt Road and 111, or go thru the swamp in the woods.

Charging a drop off fee will not change the issue of parents dropping kids off at the first door and backing traffic up on Greenough. It would probably make it worse as parents would feel entitled to drop off at the closest door since they are paying a fee.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Postby safety frog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Well we could be like one of our Danville neighbors who waits just over the border in Hampstead every morning so their child can go to Pinkerton.
Dennis F
safety frog

Return to Timberlane General