I pads in schools

General Forum for Timberlane Regional School District (TRSD) Topics

I pads in schools

Postby safety frog » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:10 am

An article that hit my screen today.

"By Brad Petrishen/Daily News staff The MetroWest Daily News posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 09:27 AM

SOUTHBOROUGH —

The K-8 School district has shelved a controversial proposal asking parents of fourth-graders to buy their children iPads, saying it will instead focus on a more gradual approach to getting the devices into the hands of students."In order to move forward with this very important initiative in a manner that addresses the concerns we have heard, we have decided to modify the (proposal)," Neary Elementary School Linda Murdock wrote in an email to parents Tuesday. Murdock wrote that the district, rather than asking parents to buy iPads that children would take home, will instead purchase more iPads itself for classroom-only use.

"We expect that this will enhance our students’ learning for this year and give us a good base to move forward for next year, while responding to parent concerns regarding cost and transportation of the devices," Murdock wrote. In a district survey answered by 77 percent of parents of fourth-grades, 75 percent said they intend to purchase an iPad. "We didn’t want to do something with 25 percent of the people not thrilled," Superintendent Charles Gobron said Tuesday. Gobron said the school already has nearly 100 iPads, and plans to purchase 75 more next year.

Read more: http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/ ... z2lrFz5LuR "

TRSD is proposing in the 2014 - 2015 budget to purchase 185 ipads for use in the proposed Full Time Kindergarten program and other locations in the district.
Dennis F
safety frog

Return to Timberlane General