EveryDAY Math

General Forum for Timberlane Regional School District (TRSD) Topics

Postby Rob C » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:00 am

If you want more anecdotes there's plenty HERE to counter the negative ones.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby Rob C » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:24 am

dmh wrote:Windham does consitently better in math, per Dr. McDonald at the school board meeting. Do they use EDM?

I just got off the phone with a woman at Golden Brook Elementary School in Windham. They have been using EDM for at least 4 years (the woman I spoke with has only been there 4 years, she wasn't sure about before then).

Here are their results (you can access all of the NECAP results HERE).

Here's a zoom in so it's easier to see.

89% of all of the 3rd grade scored in Level 3 or 4 and only 11% scored in Level 1 or 2.

Levels are defined as follows:

NECAP wrote:Proficient with Distinction (Level 4)
Student’s problem solving demonstrates logical reasoning with strong explanations that include both words and proper mathematical notation. Student’s work exhibits a high level of accuracy, effective use of a variety of strategies, and an understanding of mathematical concepts within
and across grade level expectations. Student demonstrates the ability to move from concrete to abstract representations.

Proficient (Level 3)
Student’s problem solving demonstrates logical reasoning with appropriate explanations that include both words and proper mathematical notation. Student uses a variety of strategies that are often systematic. Computational errors do not interfere with communicating understanding.
Student demonstrates conceptual understanding of most aspects of the grade level expectations.

Partially Proficient (Level 2)
Student’s problem solving demonstrates logical reasoning and conceptual understanding in some, but not all, aspects of the grade level expectations. Many problems are started correctly, but computational errors may get in the way of completing some aspects of the problem. Student uses some effective strategies. Student’s work demonstrates that he or she is generally stronger with concrete than abstract situations.

Substantially Below Proficient (Level 1)
Student’s problem solving is often incomplete, lacks logical reasoning and accuracy, and shows little conceptual understanding in most aspects of the grade level expectations. Student is able to start some problems but computational errors and lack of conceptual understanding interfere with solving problems successfully.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby Resident » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Rob,

If it's not the Math Curriculum that is the problem, can you explain why Windham consistently does better than Timberlane? Is it the quality of teachers? What is the reason? Remember, Windham does it without Kindergarten too?
Last edited by Resident on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resident

Postby Rob C » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:11 pm

Resident wrote:Rob,

If it's not the Math Curriculum that is the problem, can you explain why Windham consistently does better than Timberlane? Is it the quality of teachers? What is the reason?

This year the Windham 3rd graders were arguably not better than Danville 3rd graders at math.

Windham Results from 2006:

Danville Results from 2006:

Take a look at the improvements between last year and this year at Danville on the NECAP. The difference? EDM. Remember that the NECAPs are given at the beginning of the school year. The 2006 3rd grade NECAPs were the first year the NECAPs were given to a class at Danville that had been exposed to EDM.

The eighth grade results aren't nearly as impressive.

I have no idea why this is. It could be the failing of previous curricula. dmh has said they changed the elementary curriculum a couple of times while his children were there.

I don't think you've given EDM enough time, however. It has only been in place for 1.5 years. The real test will be the Grade 3 NECAP results next year as those third graders will be the first 3rd grade class at Danville to only be exposed to EDM.

The next big test will be the 3rd grade NECAPs in 2010 as that year will hopefully be the first 3rd grade to have been exposed only to EDM for 3 FULL years as Public Kindergarten will hopefully be implemented in September 2007.
Rob C
Rob C

Postby dmh » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:50 am

There is a EDM meeting at Atkinson Academy tonight. Does anyone know the agenda?
dmh

Postby dmh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:15 pm

4th graders has been bringing home Fractions worksheets for the past week or so. Most nights the homework is to calculate percentages with a CALCULATOR.

Didn't a recent Newsletter from the school tell us that if we wanted kids proficient in math to not allow them to use a calculator?
dmh

Postby michelle_oneil » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:44 pm

My 4th grader has been bringing the same worksheets home.
I won't let her use the calculator for the easy fractions (4/10=0.40=40%).
But, I did for 32/96=0.33=33%.

The problem I have with the calculator is that she's just punching numbers. She doesn't understand why she's dividing 32 by 96.
Yet, when she looks at 4/10, she "sees" what that means. My feeling, keep the fractions easy until they understand that 4/10 is the same as 4/10 and then introduce the calculator.

Besides, the other article that dmh provided a link to (here's the SOD link: http://speakoutdanville.org/bbs/viewtop ... highlight=) indicates that technology use isn't necessarily improving test scores. Leave the calculators to the Middle School/High School students. Not elementary students.
michelle_oneil

Postby dmh » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:20 pm

I think one sheet had 25+ problems to do with a calculator. I like Michelle would rather see my child do 10 of the 4/10 nature and understand what they are doing rather than punch in a bunch of numbers.
dmh

Postby Resident » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Don't worry. The class nevers spends more than a week on a unit. Besides, now that they know how to use the division sign on the calculator, they can learn where the square root key is next. And tomorrow, they should be introduced to a different topic. Have you seen the big button calculators? It may be easier for your younger children to use especially in kindergarten.
Resident

Postby michelle_oneil » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:43 pm

I heard that the 4th graders needed to be proficient in differentiation so that they could find the area under the curve.

Also, they are doing ANOVA tables so that they can determine if their test scores are adequate or not. :D
michelle_oneil

Postby dmh » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:43 pm

Do they get to use Calcultors on the standardized test in elementary??
dmh

Re: EveryDAY Math

Postby dmh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 am

Ineresting article.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130221/NEWS04/130229853

Controversial elementary math program divides NH schools
ShareThisBy APRIL GUILMET
Union Leader Correspondent
After one semester, Windham educators are calling a new math program for kindergarten through fifth grade a success.

During Tuesday night's school board meeting, Golden Brook School Principal Christi Michaud and Center School Principal Kori Becht shared a progress report of enVision Math, which replaced the controversial Everyday Math program at the start of the current school year.

Some Manchester schools use Everyday Math, and last October a group of parents in the state's largest school system approached district officials and said the curriculum was leaving middle school students ill-prepared for traditional math courses.

The curriculum, used in city schools through grade five, seeks to teach math concepts through patterns and games, rather than memorization of formulas and tables.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Postby dmh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 am

If you read backwards, you will see the quotes about Golden Brook School back in 2007.
"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink." Martin Lomasney
dmh

Postby michelle_oneil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am

Did you know that Timberlane is piloting 2 elementary math programs this year because Everyday Math is not aligned with the Common Core Standards?
They are piloting enVisionMATH and Math in Focus.
The letters that were sent home to parents in these pilot classes can be found:

https://public.timberlane.net/curr/parent/default.aspx
michelle_oneil

Postby dmh » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 am

michelle_oneil wrote:Did you know that Timberlane is piloting 2 elementary math programs this year because Everyday Math is not aligned with the Common Core Standards?
They are piloting enVisionMATH and Math in Focus.
The letters that were sent home to parents in these pilot classes can be found:

https://public.timberlane.net/curr/parent/default.aspx

Finally a change. Parents have only been saying for over 11 years that the math program was not working. About 11 years ago I went to a parent meeting at the MS that some parents were complaining about the math program and how any kids were failing algebra in HS. Some timberlane parents were spending money getting private tutors for their kids to make up the math deficiencies.

Some of us knew back in 2007 that Everyday math was not the answer. Our opinions were invalid as they were contra to the school.
dmh

Previous

Return to Timberlane General