Starbucks to close Plaistow store

General Forum for school (except TRSD) and town issues in Atkinson, Derry, Fremont, Hampstead, Kingston, Newton, Plaistow, and Sandown. Please continue to post TRSD items in "Timberlane General".

Postby curt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:39 am

Published: June 18, 2009 12:58 am

By Margo Sullivan
margosullivan@eagletribune.com

PLAISTOW — Starbucks will stick to plans to close its store on Plaistow Road (Route 125), across from Wal-Mart.

The Plaistow store, which opened about a year ago, was on a list of more than 200 store closures announced earlier this year, according to the company's press office.

No specific reason was cited for the decision to close the Plaistow store.

The list included unprofitable stores, as well as stores not expected to meet performance standards in the near future. Financial calculations were not the only criteria used.

Only one other New Hampshire store is slated to close — the Starbucks in Nashua's Pheasant Lane Mall.

The manager at the Plaistow store referred questions to the corporate office, including when the store would close.

-------------------------------------------------

Not surprising considering that the Haverhill one was so close.
Curt Springer
curt

Re: Starbucks to close Plaistow store

Postby safety frog » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:25 am

Location, location, location.

With exception of Dunkin D's across from Cumbies, Dunkin D's are all on the south bound side of 125, in Epping, North Kingston, Middle Kingston, Plaistow and and Haverhill. Who in the morning headed south wants to cross 125 to get coffee, then come back across 125 to continue south in the morning? The one near Cumbies, sells gasoline which makes it worth the trip across traffic.

ps, never had a cup of starbucks, but luv Dunkin D's.
Dennis F
safety frog

Postby curt » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:14 pm

I like strong coffee, so I prefer Starbucks to DD. I think your point about what side of the road makes sense, but if the Haverhill Starbucks did not exist, the Plaistow one might have made a go of it. After all, it is at the lights so it isn't bad to go in or out whether you are headed north or south on 125 at that point.

DD coffee is OK, but I need to add cream to it to give it body. I prefer strong black coffee.

If you like DD coffee you will like Tim Horton's in Canada. Their coffee is a little stronger than DD.
Curt Springer
curt

Postby AlfredTwo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:02 am

Tim Horton's is expanding in the US BTW. I know there are some in CT for example.
AlfredTwo

Postby timd » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 pm

We just had an application approved by the Atkinson planning board (I am a member) for a new Dunkin Donuts on the North side of Route 111 near West Road. The applicant currently owns the DD franchise across the highway in the Mobil Station, and is moving 400' North because there is more traffic heading West in the AM.
timd

Postby curt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:47 pm

AlfredTwo wrote:Tim Horton's is expanding in the US BTW. I know there are some in CT for example.

Tim Horton's web site wrote:Tim Hortons locations can presently be found in Michigan, Maine, Connecticut, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New York

They officially dropped the possessive apostrophe in deference to Quebec language laws.

Wikipedia wrote:A Canadian cultural fixture

The ubiquity of Tim Hortons, through both effective marketing and the wide expansion of its outlets, makes it a prominent feature of Canadian life. Tim Hortons' prevalence in the coffee and doughnut market has led to its branding as a Canadian cultural icon and the media routinely refer to its iconic status, although this is a relatively recent development, tied to the chain's tremendous expansion in the late 1990s and 2000s.[57][58][49][59][60][61] A series of Tim's television commercials promotes this idea by showing vignettes of Canadians abroad and their homesickness for Tim Hortons.
A smaller Tim Hortons location, with a focus on drive-through

Noted Canadian author Pierre Berton once wrote: "In so many ways the story of Tim Hortons is the essential Canadian story. It is a story of success and tragedy, of big dreams and small towns, of old-fashioned values and tough-fisted business, of hard work and of hockey."[58]

Film director Kevin Smith name-drops Tim Hortons several times during a portion of his DVD An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder which was taped at a college "Q&A" appearance in Toronto, Ontario. At one point, a fan comes up onto the stage while Smith is speaking, and brings him a few bags of Timbits.

Some commentators have bemoaned the rise of Tim Hortons as a national symbol. Rudyard Griffiths, director of The Dominion Institute, wrote in the Toronto Star in July 2006 that the ascension of the chain to the status of cultural icon was a "worrying sign" for Canadian nationalism, adding: "Surely Canada can come up with a better moniker than the Timbit Nation."[62]

A Canadian term used at Tim Hortons outlets is "double-double," which indicates a coffee with two creams and two sugars. It was added to the second edition of the Canadian Oxford Dictionary on August 10, 2004."[63]

Store #603, the most northern store, in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, recently earned the honour of top sales in the chain for 2007-2008. According to co-owner Greg Barton, the store handles around 2900 Yellowknifers (nearly 15% of population) per day.[64]

Quebec rock duo Tracteur Jack has released a song entitled "Tim Horton's", in honour of their favourite song-writing location.[65]

In the movie One Week the main character Ben, played by Joshua Jackson, begins a personal journey by rolling up the rim of a Tim Hortons cup
Curt Springer
curt

Postby curt » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:53 pm

timd wrote:We just had an application approved by the Atkinson planning board (I am a member) for a new Dunkin Donuts on the North side of Route 111 near West Road. The applicant currently owns the DD franchise across the highway in the Mobil Station, and is moving 400' North because there is more traffic heading West in the AM.

That should help reduce the amount of traffic turning left across lanes in the morning. I also wonder if it is connected to the opening of Honey Dew Doughnuts in Hampstead.
Curt Springer
curt

Return to Nearby Towns